The MIDAS assessment has undergone over 25 years of validity and efficacy research by people in many different countries. Early validity research is summarized in the Professional Manual (Shearer, 2007, Rev. Ed.). Numerous other studies have been conducted by both the author and other researchers that have examined its validity as well as contributions to teaching, learning and personal satisfaction. See partial list below.
The goal of this long term research has been to create a valid, research-based assessment that produces a high quality descriptive Profile. To learn how it differs from superficial and invalid so-called MI “tests” download this paper by the author:
Accepting the validity of MI theory is a big issue both in schools and among theorists. Dr. Shearer addressed this important issue in his response to Howard Gardner’s presentation at the MI in Global Perspective session at the 2006 AERA conference. Down load this commentary entitled, “When Can We Stop Calling It “Howard Gardner’s Theory of Multiple Intelligences?“ (here)
Papers: The following papers summarize research projects conducted by the author.
– Assessing the Multiple Intelligences: What_Good Is It? click here: What_Good
Research and Development Projects
Bomb Disposal Technicians:
– The MI profiles of Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technicians (EOD) was recently investigated by Edwin Bundy and Branton Shearer.
As a result, a Graduation Prediction Scale was devised to help with the selection and education of EOD practitioners. download here: . EOD_Paper
Howard Gardner first proposed Existential as the possible 9th intelligence in his 1999 book, Intelligence Reframed. As of this writing, Dr. Gardner is reviewing the status of the proposed Existential intelligence and its research basis. The MIDAS Existential scale has undergone preliminary validation studies and data collection is ongoing. The Scale for Existential Thinking (SET) was created to investigate the validity of this Big Idea. Read about the initial validity results by Allen and Shearer.
How are the Multiple Intelligences related to a person’s leadership abilities?
The MIDAS™ has been used to enhance leadership development for both undergraduate and graduate students at Kent State University. This is a promising use for The MIDAS assessment.
MI-Inspired Business Development?
– Minding_Your_Business with MIDAS: This paper summarizes the possible business uses for the MIDAS assessment.
– Investigating the MI Profiles of At_Risk_Students. This paper summarizes a number of studies that investigated the MI profiles of At Risk students.
– Gifted-Education-and-MI : Many educators of gifted and talented students are also enthusiastic about how the multiple intelligences can be used to enhance student achievement.
– Dealing with Anger: Student behavior management is a major concern of teachers at all levels. This paper describes how to use student’s strengths to provide more effective discipline.